Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Volunteer no more

So my official 'job' title is now 'traveler' until at least 17 April 2013 (the day I land in London) when I'll revert to simply being 'unemployed'. Volunteering is now a thing of the past as I said goodbye to the team at EACO today.

I thought to mark the occasion I'd share the three things I'll miss most about volunteering and life in Mukono and the three things I'll miss the least.

The good (things I will miss)

1. Feeling like I have the opportunity to change a person's life. There were certainly days where I felt my presence was more of a hindrance than a help, but no matter how small the help I have given here, it has been given to organisations that really do change lives for the better, even if my personal contribution doesn't. I got into an argument with a South African guy last weekend whose view was that volunteering is essentially a waste of time. His opinion was that people living in poverty are happier than us, as they don't know any better and helping them results in them realising that they are 'missing out'. Suffice to say that I didn't agree with this view. The people that organisations like EACO and the Real Uganda work with already know there is a big wide world out there that they are missing out on. I also don't agree that people who can't afford to send their children to school or to seek medical treatment are happy. The conversation ended with the said South African telling me that I didn't know anything about Africa and storming off!

2. The children. It was really hard saying a final goodbye to the kids at school. They sung me four songs, unfortunately I can't upload videos - I have a few of them singing which are adorable. I'll also miss having kids from school seeing me down the street and screaming Teacher Lucy. I saw one kid from P4 down in town the other day and he sprinted up to me and gave me a huge hug. I'll also miss the random kids yelling 'bye mzungu' and waving madly and the resultant beaming smile if I talk to them or wave back.

3. Being settled in one place. Next on the agenda is two weeks travelling in Uganda and Kenya and then a further seven weeks travelling overland to Cape Town. I am dreading having to pack up my bag everyday. I'm dreading having to lug it around. I'm dreading having to pitch a tent each day. Volunteering is actually a very settled way of getting to know a country and how it ticks. Being on the move just doesn't give the same opportunities to get to meet people either. I leave Uganda with Ugandan friends.

The bad (things I won't be missing)

1. I'm sick of being a mzungu and the attention that it draws (other than the kids). No I don't want a boda boda. No you can't have my number (I swear that I have had more people ask for my number in the last few weeks than the rest of my life combined). No I'm not going to show you where I live. And please don't yell out 'sister' 'mama' or 'beautiful' at me from across the road, it is not going to make me come and talk to you.

2. I'm looking forward to not spending so much time thinking about all the problems facing the country (and Africa). A big scandal here over the past few weeks has been the unveiling of a large corruption ring in the Prime Minister's office. Billions of shillings of aid given by the Irish government was found in about 10 staff members private accounts. Ireland, the UK, Denmark and Sweden have all pulled aid from being sent to Uganda. I don't like to think about how this impacts the people/causes the aid was earmarked to help. It may sound bad but it will be nice to be back in my safe and comfortable life without having to face the reality of life here on a daily basis.

3. Home comforts (although some of these will have to wait a few weeks yet). To name a few: sit down toilets; washing machines; salads; NZ wine; cheese; hot showers; kitchen sinks with running water... (I could go on).

Next post most likely coming to you from Kenya!

No comments:

Post a Comment